Thursday, April 23, 2009

Automated Trading Championship - My 2008 Experiences

The reason why I can write so much on MetaQuotes' s Automated Trading Championship is because I was a participant in 2008. Everything was new for me, and the mad rush to understand the rules and then coding an expert advisor, discovering the intolerances of all sorts of errors, and finally dishing out a half-baked EA that got stuck in the early part of the competition.

I coded an EA based on a weekly strategy, and risked on the higher side for the lot volume so that the EA can get ahead. The currency pair traded was EURUSD. I have always wanted to do a multi-currency pairs EA but just could not find the time for it.

One week after the competition started, EURUSD threw up a more than 100 pips gap over the weeks, and my EA was "lost" simply because I did not handle the big gap.



But on the whole it traded very little but managed to get a profit of $1451, ranked at 95 out of 705. Nothing to be proud of especially over such a small gain. But then, it did give a nice feeling that I managed to be the few who could maintain the equity and gained some profit.







More importantly, it made at least 5 trades which was a competition requirement. But I guess it does not matter because the true performance of the EA has been marred by its inactivity for many weeks, and so it is not reflective of its capability or incapability.

No comments:

Post a Comment